Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is quick and easy. Dinner in under 45 minutes. It came about when I left a bag of frozen chicken thighs out while rearanging my freezer. It wasn't safe to refreeze them so I tried to use them with what I had on hand. It's a bit of all right.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup basmati rice, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 chicken thighs, cut into large bite sized pieces
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 pasilla chiles, roasted,seeded,devained,chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tomatoes, blanched,skinned,and chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock, homade is best
- 1 tablespoon new mexico chile powder, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin, freshly ground
- 6 -8 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Prep all ingredients.
- Heat a dutch oven over med-high heat.
- Add 2 TBS Oil, heat.
- Add Rice, stir fry'til Rice turns translucent.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add 3 TBS oil, heat.
- Add Chicken, brown, remove, set aside.
- Add Onions and chiles, saute (stir fry)'til onions are translucent.
- Add Garlic, saute'til garlic is wilted.
- Add Chicken, Rice, Tomatoes, Chicken Stock, Chili Powder, and Cummin.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning, stir in Cilantro.
- Serve with something to counterpoint the spicy flavor.
- Cucumber or Chayote salad works well.
This is a yummy dish and very easy! Nice blend of flavors. Will be making this again. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup.