Recipe by Josh Otero
I came up with this recipe since my girlfriend and I started eating healthier and she had never had enchiladas. The mushrooms give a great meaty texture and keep the calorie count down. Feel free to substitute regular sour cream for the fat-free or regular tortillas for low-carb. Also, you can kick it up with some pepper or hot-sauce if you like things a bit spicier. The batch we made ended up producing enchiladas that were about 180 calories a piece with sauce and cheese included.
- 2 whole chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 lb portabella mushroom
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 10 low-carb whole wheat tortillas
- 3 cups skim milk
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the yellow onion into fairly small pieces, combine in a medium pan with cumin, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic. Saute over medium heat.
- Chop chicken and mushrooms into the smallest pieces you possibly can, add these ingredients into the pan with the onions.
- As the chicken cooks, use a spatula to break it up until it is almost like shredded chicken in appearance.
- Saute ingredients until onions are carmelized and chicken and mushrooms are well cooked.
- Remove from heat and set aside chicken/mushroom/onion mixture.
- Add a bit of garlic to a medium saucepan and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add skim milk and sour cream to the garlic. You can use more or less sour cream as desired. If you use less and want to thicken the sauce a bit just mix some flour with water and add it to the mixture.
- Stirring frequently, simmer mixture over medium-low heat until ingredients have combined and sauce is hot.
- Remove from heat and set aside sauce.
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- In a large roasting pan or casserole dish, take some of the chicken/mushroom/onion mixture and fill a tortilla, roll the tortilla, leaving the "seam" facing down.
- Repeat the last step until you have filled the pan with rolled enchiladas.
- Pour the entire batch of sauce over the whole pan, be sure to make sure it gets into all the corners and that it covers the enchiladas almost entirely or else you will end up with crunchy enchiladas.
- Sprinkle shredded jack cheese over the whole pan of enchiladas, the amount you use is up to you.
- Cook enchiladas on center rack of oven, uncovered for 15-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.
- Serve with beans and rice or your favorite side-dish!