Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A quick, easy meal with a spicy Mexican flavor.
Make and share this Southwest Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes
- taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place your chicken breasts on a baking pan and season each breast with taco seasoning. I usually use about 1/2 of a 4oz package of taco seasoning per four breasts. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until done through. Remove the chicken from the oven and cover each breast with shredded cheese. Return to the oven just until the cheese is melted.
- While the chicken is baking, open the Ro-tel tomatoes and drain the liquid into a measuring cup. Add water until you have two cups of liquid. Combine rice, Ro-tel tomatoes, 2 cups of liquid and the remaining taco seasoning in a medium saucepan and stir thoroughly until the taco seasoning is completely mixed into the liquid. Cover and place on high heat until it begins to boil. Immediately turn to low heat and simmer for an additional 20 minutes. Uncover and stir thoroughly.
- Divide the rice into four equal portions and place a bed of rice on each plate. Sprinkle lettuce onto the rice and place a chicken breast over the lettuce. Garnish with the tomatoes, onions and salsa and enjoy!
I'd give this 10 stars if there was such a thing! I 'baked' my chicken in a dry electric fry pan. Then removed the chicken as instructed to mix the broths and rice. When the rice was almost done I added the chicken back on top of the rice and covered the chicken with cheese...and deliberately put some on top of the rice as well.
My husband who strongly dislikes most 'spanish rice' recipes...absolutely loved this chicken and rice. He ate 2 large portions then bagged up the remaining piece of meat and rice and took ti down to put into his office refrigerator for a lunch snack.
He asked me, "Is this one of your game recipes?" I said, "yes". Then he said, "make this one again"! Made for PAC Fall 2011
Absolutely delicious.. Couldn't have been happier with the way it turned out. I like to made the recipe once as written, the way the chef did it. THANK YOU!! I can do the happy food dance!! NOW !! I can't leave anything alone! Everyone I've made this for has asked for the recipe. THANK YOU!!