Recipe by Caryn Dalton
Another recipe we enjoy from Betty Crocker's 1-2-3 Dinner These cheesy bread slices also make great appetizers. After baking, cut each slice into halves or fourths. Top each with a slice of cherry tomato and a piece of fresh cilantro.
Top Review by Miami Michy
I put it on bread and they loved it. The left overs I melted and left it as a dip for the tortilla chips I had and they also loved it like that. This recipe is very versatile. Plan serving it again at a party.
- 8 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise or 1⁄4 cup salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 4 cherry tomatoes (to garnish, sliced into 4 slices each)
- 4 whole cilantro leaves (for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro (I wouldn't leave out the cilantro for anything-it really makes this appetizer, for me) or 1 teaspoon parsley, if desired (I wouldn't leave out the cilantro for anything-it really makes this appetizer, for me)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded colby-monterey jack cheese (2 oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients except bread, garnish cherry tomatoes, whole cilantro leaves and cheese. Spread on one side of each bread slice. Sprinkle with cheese. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 5 to 6 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is slightly toasted on bottom.
- I like to half each piece of bread, then garnish with a piece of cilantro topped by the cherry tomato. And, sometimes I like to broil the tomatoes on and then garnish with fresh cilantro. Either way, the cilantro really makes everything come together.