Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Very filling, nice with cornbread.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 3 1⁄3 cups drained cooked red pinto beans or 3 1⁄3 cups pink pinto beans
- 29 ounces canned tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 1⁄4 ounces sliced ripe olives
- 5 cups water, divided
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- Saute onion in oil until tender.
- Add ground beef and brown, breaking apart with fork.
- Add chili powder, sugar.
- 1 teaspoon salt, oregano, beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, olives and 1/2 cup water; simmer 1 hour.
- Combine corn meal with 1/2 cup water.
- Bring remaining 4 cups water to boil.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and corn meal; cook 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Spread half of corn meal mixture in bottom of deep 2-1/2 to 3-quart baking dish.
- Add bean mixture; spread remaining corn meal mixture over beans.
- Bake at 350 degrees 20 to 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer.