Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
From juicy burgers to savoury chicken breasts, it seems like everything just tastes better grilled. Meats including burgers, steak, hot dogs, and chicken top the list of the most popular foods prepared using a grill. With the calorie-heavy holiday season coming up, men and women alike are focused on cutting calories, and grilling is a great way to do just that. Once only a summertime treat, grilling has become a year-round activity, with many taking grilling indoors with grills such as the George Foreman. And while burgers, steak and hot dogs reign supreme as the kings of the grill, many home cooks are getting creative with their culinary grilling explorations and are adding fruit and desserts to their repertoire because it's a great way to add flavour, and not fat. Looking for some reduced-fat inspiration? Check out this mouth-watering recipe for Southwest Burgers:
- 1 lb ground round
- 1⁄3 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1⁄4 cup santa fe seasoning (Philly)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- refrigerated salsa
- Preheat George Foreman Grand Champ Slide-Temp Grill on setting 5.
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients, except salsa. Toss to blend.
- Shape ground beef mixture into 4 equal 4-inch patties.
- Cook burgers, covered, turning once, for about 6 minutes (3 minutes per side) or to desired doneness.
- Serve with salsa.