Recipe by Hey Jude
Blue cornmeal is interchangeable with white or yellow cornmeal but I love using the blue, it seems to have a different flavor to me. I've only made this recipe in a corn stick pan, I haven't tried them in a muffin pan.
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
I filled a 24 mini muffin pan and a mini loaf pan. I added buttermilk,no jalapeno pepper, a
little more sugar. freeze the muffins to eat with chili, soups or bacon and eggs.
- 1 cup blue cornmeal, plus
- 2 tablespoons blue cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small fresh jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Use 2 T of the cornmeal to coat greased cornstick pans, or 1 1/2-inch muffin pans; set pans aside.
- Heat oil in a medium-size nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and chile; cook, stirring often, until onion is lightly browned (6-8 minutes); set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and remaining 1 cup cornmeal until well blended; set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine milk and egg; beat with a whisk until well blended.
- Add milk mixture, cheese and onion mixture to cornmeal mixture.
- Stir just until dry ingredients are evenly moistened.
- Spoon batter into pans, filling almost to rims; bake in a 375° oven until cornsticks are lightly browned and feel firm when lightly pressed, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool in pans on a rack for about 10 minutes, then loosen carefully and remove from pans.
- Serve warm.