Prep 45 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe came from Olson's Grocery store here in the Seattle area. I get requests for this recipe every time I take it to a potluck. You can make the vinaigrette ahead of time and just throw the rest of the salad together at the last minute.
- 1 lb black turtle beans
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup finely minced red onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3⁄4 cup prepared salsa
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chipotle paste (see note)
- 1⁄2 cup prepared salsa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh, minced oregano or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups canola oil
- To prepare the salad: Rinse the beans.
- Soak in lots of water to cover overnight, or cover with boiling water and let sit 1 hour.
- Place beans in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Lower the heat and let simmer about 50 minutes, or until beans are tender.
- Add more water if necessary during the cooking time.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Combine the beans, corn, onion, red and green bell peppers, 3/4 cup salsa and cilantro.
- To prepare the vinaigrette: In a food processor, combine the chipotle chili paste, 1/2 cup salsa, chili powder, cumin, oregano, coriander, salt, pepper, garlic, lemon and lime juice and vinegar.
- Slowly add the oil, processing until emulsified.
- (This will make about 3 cups vinaigrette; store excess in covered jar in refrigerator. This will keep almost indefinately.) Pour 1-1/2 cups dressing over the salad, stirrring well.
- Cover and chill 3-4 hours before serving.
- Note: To make the chili paste, process a 7.
- 5 ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in a food processor or blender.
- (The peppers can be found in Mexican markets or at some supermarkets).
- Transfer to a jar, cover and store in refrigerator.
- (I just throw the chipotle chilis in the blender with the rest of the vinaigrette ingredients).