LK Devildog's Note:
This recipe was given to me years ago in a recipe swap by my Aunt Shirley. It won 2nd place in the 1995 Mississippi Beef Cook-Off. I use medium or hot picante sauce because we like ours a little hotter. You can also use less cheese and ground turkey and it's just as fabulous. It is an easy recipe and we have it with some great jalapeno cheese bread!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook shells in 3 qts. boiling water for 12 minutes, stirring often. Drain. Rinse with cold water; drain well.
- 2Heat skillet over high heat. Add oil and brown beef until no longer pink. Remove from heat; pour off drippings.
- 3Add all other ingredients to the meat except picante sauce.
- 4Spread 1/4 cup picante sauce in bottom of 9x13 inch casserole.
- 5Stuff shells with a spoonful or so of meat mixture and place on sauce. Any extra meat mixture may be placed on top.
- 6Pour remaining picante sauce over shells. (May be frozen. Thaw completely before baking).
- 7Bake covered in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes or until hot in center.
- 8Serve shells with sprinkling of cheese and fresh cilantro.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwest Beef Shells
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 705.0
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 104.9 mg
- Sodium 1222.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 40.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ground beef round