Recipe by Pierre Dance
Another one who's history is lost, but I remember, it is good. Like most soups, stews, and chili this is better if made the day before and reheated to serve. It does freeze well for quick meals later.
Top Review by Spankie
We love this recipe! We love black beans and beef shank, and to have both in one easy crockpot meal is incredible. It makes a huge pot. I didn't use the masa harina or yellow cornmeal or hominy, however. I freeze several meals for later. Once I added Mac'n'Cheese to a leftover portion. Once we ate it right out of bowls with Frito's Scoops. Thank you, Pierre Dance, for this oustanding recipe.
- 1 lb black beans, sorted and washed
- 2 yellow onions, coursely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) canchopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 (7 ounce) candiced green anaheim chilies
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups beef broth (homade is best)
- 1 tablespoon cumin, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano (not as sweet as Mediterranean)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 smoked chipotle chile in adobo, finely minced (1 chili, NOT 1 CAN! If you don't like hot chilies it would be wise to experiment but do use a bit, t)
- 3 -4 lbs beef shanks, trimmed of fat
- 1⁄4 cup masa harina (if you can't find Masa Harina but do look for the Masa harina it's worth the effort.) or 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal (if you can't find Masa Harina but do look for the Masa harina it's worth the effort.)
- 4 key limes, juice of
- 4 key limes, zest of
- 1 (15 ounce) can hominy, drained and rinsed
Directions See How It's Made
- In hot weather move the crock pot out to the shade of the patio table.
- Put everything through the Chipotle Chilie into crock pot, mix well.
- Work Beef Shanks down under the beans.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 9-10 hours.
- Remove Beef Shanks to a cooling rack.
- Skim fat from stew.
- Raise heat to high.
- Stir in Masa Harina, mix well.
- Add Hominy.
- Stir well.
- Trim meat from bones.
- cut into bite size pieces.
- Return to pot.
- Cook 20 minutes more.
- Let cool and chill overnight. Reheat to serve or may be frozen for later.
- Stir a bit of Key Lime zest & juice into each bowl just before serving.