Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Got this recipe in the "Mable Hoffman's Crockery Cookery" cookbook.
- 1 lb dried pinto bean (no overnight soaking required)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, sliced
- 1 lb lean beef chuck steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 chopped red chilies or 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 11 to 12 hours.
My crockpot is so efficient, it seems to break down any beef and give everything a bland beefy taste. I ended up adding 1/2 a jar of medium salsa at the end, just to give the mixture more than one distinct taste. Over all a good recipe, just needed jacked up a bit. The end result tastes like chilli, which could be used on hot dogs too.