Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Cooking Light. Per 1 c. serving: 314 calories, 10 g fat, 13.8 g protein, 43.7 g carb, 6.9 g fiber, 32 mg cholesterol.
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked pearl barley
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 6 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 1/3 cup barley in the container of a blender; process until barley is coarsely ground (15-20 seconds); place ground barley in a large pan; repeat procedure with remaining barley.
- Cook barley over medium heat for 4 minutes or until toasted, stir often.
- Add in water, milk, honey, and salt; bring mixture to a boil.
- Lower heat; simmer 25 minutes or until barley is soft, stirring often.
- Add in cheese, chili powder, and chiles; cook 5 minutes or until cheese is melted, stirring constantly.
- Transfer mixture to individual bowls, top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream; serve with hot sauce.