Prep 8 mins
Cook 0 mins
IMHO this is the single best eggnog recipe I've ever had. I've had it with both cognac and rum, never with brandy or whisky, though I suspect Jack Daniels would be wonderful for this.
- 12 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 pints half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup rum or 1⁄2 cup cognac or 1⁄2 cup brandy or 1⁄2 cup whiskey
- Whip yolks until yellow and thick.
- Add sugar gradually, blending as you go, until thick and well-blended (on high in the mixer).
- Add half-and-half little-by-little. Add vanilla, nutmeg and alcohol. Blend well.
- Beat whites of eggs until stiff peaks form.
- Add to yolk mixture. Strain into pitcher and serve.
- NOTES : You may increase the vanilla up to 1 tablespoon and the alcohol up to 1 cup, as desired.
This is the best eggnog I have ever had. It's good with fat-free half & half, too. The writer suggested Jack Daniels might be good in it, but it is especially good with 1/2 cup of light rum (preferably Bacardi) and 1/2 cup of Crown Royal. Delicious!
This is a fantastic eggnog recipe! We used egg substitute and left out the alcohol and we can't get enough. My son is an eggnog-aholic (he said when he gets to Heaven he's going to drink eggnog every day all day long) and he was VERY pleased. I love that it isn't so thick! Thank you for a new Christmas tradition for our family!
This was amazing! So easy and so good. The texture is really light, not like that thick commercial stuff.