Recipe by Douglas J. Renze
IMHO this is the single best eggnog recipe I've ever had. I've had it with both cognac and rum, never with brandy or whisky, though I suspect Jack Daniels would be wonderful for this.
Top Review by Kathy Humphreys
This is the best eggnog I have ever had. It's good with fat-free half & half, too. The writer suggested Jack Daniels might be good in it, but it is especially good with 1/2 cup of light rum (preferably Bacardi) and 1/2 cup of Crown Royal. Delicious!
- 12 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 pints half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup rum or 1⁄2 cup cognac or 1⁄2 cup brandy or 1⁄2 cup whiskey
Directions See How It's Made
- Whip yolks until yellow and thick.
- Add sugar gradually, blending as you go, until thick and well-blended (on high in the mixer).
- Add half-and-half little-by-little. Add vanilla, nutmeg and alcohol. Blend well.
- Beat whites of eggs until stiff peaks form.
- Add to yolk mixture. Strain into pitcher and serve.
- NOTES : You may increase the vanilla up to 1 tablespoon and the alcohol up to 1 cup, as desired.