Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This white cornbread is baked in a hot loaf pan coated with hot oil. The result is a delicious crispy crust with a tender inside. This is terrific with berry butter.
- 29.58 ml vegetable shortening
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 473.18 ml white cornmeal
- 1.23 ml salt
- 473.18 ml buttermilk
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°; grease an 8"x4"x3" nonstick loaf pan with the shortening, leaving excess in the pan and place in oven.
- Sift together sugar, flour, cornmeal and salt; mix buttermilk and baking soda; stir into cornmeal mixture and mix well; add melted shortening from loaf pan and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the hot loaf pan and bake 50-60 minutes until golden brown and toothpick tests clean; cool on wire rack.