Recipe by sugarpea
This white cornbread is baked in a hot loaf pan coated with hot oil. The result is a delicious crispy crust with a tender inside. This is terrific with berry butter.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°; grease an 8"x4"x3" nonstick loaf pan with the shortening, leaving excess in the pan and place in oven.
- Sift together sugar, flour, cornmeal and salt; mix buttermilk and baking soda; stir into cornmeal mixture and mix well; add melted shortening from loaf pan and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the hot loaf pan and bake 50-60 minutes until golden brown and toothpick tests clean; cool on wire rack.