Recipe by Melissa Spangler
This is a great recipe to serve for New Year's Day. I think it's from Country Living.
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 4 cups collard greens, chopped and rinsed
- 3 1⁄4 cups cooked black-eyed peas
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Cook the bacon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until browned. Transfer to paper towels to drain and pour off all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and melt . Add the onion, celery, and carrots, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and cook until vegetables are just tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- 2. Place 1 tablespoon butter and the garlic in another large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the garlic is cooked through, add the collard greens and cook them until they are just tender -- about 5 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the peas, bacon, and vegetables and warm through. Season with remaining salt and pepper and serve immediately.