Recipe by yooper
I have no idea why this recipe's title says "pie." It's more like a savory vegetable pudding! Perfect side dish for a holiday or special occasion meal! From the Nov 2001 issue of "Bon Apetit."
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 12 ounces zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch-thick slices (about 3)
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded,thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded,thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded,thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 4 cups day-old crustless French bread, 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups packed grated swiss cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 1 (8 ounce) packagechilled cream cheese, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add zucchini, red onion, mushrooms, bell peppers, garlic and thyme and saute until vegetables are just crisp-tender, about 15 minutes.
- Cool briefly.
- Whisk eggs, whipping cream, salt and pepper in large bowl to blend.
- Stir in bread cubes, Swiss cheese, cream cheese, then vegetables.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake until egg mixture is brown on top and bubbling around the edges, about 45 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve warm.