Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from Lean Bean Cuisine, by Jay Solomon
Make and share this Southern Tureen of Black-Eyed Peas, Collard Greens and Yams recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, slivered
- 4 cups collard greens, chopped (about half a bunch)
- 2 cups yams or 2 cups sweet potatoes, diced but not peeled
- 2 cups cooked or canned black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole or Dutch oven. Add the onion and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Add the collard greens, yams, black-eyed peas, water, pepper and salt, and cover. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To thicken, gradually stir in the cornmeal and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more. Serve in large tureens or bowls, with cornbread.