Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe was included in our family's cookbook, Treasured Recipes and Memories, The Blanchard Family. A very tasteful side dish to have with any meal!
- 3 tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- Bake pie shell for 5 minutes at 425°F.
- Place tomato slices in pie shell.
- Combine seasonings with onion and sprinkle on tomatoes.
- Mix mayonnaise and cheese and spread over top like meringue. Seal edges as much as possible.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before serving. (It is very important to allow pie to cool before trying to serve).
WOW! What a yummy Southern Tomato Pie, Emz. Loved it! Can't wait for summer 'maters to make again.
This looked stunning as a main dish, and the amount of onions and seasonings was perfect. The pie was tasty, but a little oily for our tastes. I think that with this quantity of cheese, we would prefer it without the mayonnaise (an ingredient I have never used in a baked recipe before). For the pastry shell, I used Chef #286566's Recipe #177343, which was excellent. Reviewed for Pick A Chef, Fall 2007