Recipe by TXOLDHAM
This is a vegan version and does not use traditional kao yum which includes dried shrimp. If you can't find all the ingredients, just use the ones that are available. Time does not include cooking the rice.
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut, toasted (flaked or shredded)
- 1 tablespoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 cup green beans, fresh, thinly sliced crosswise on the diagonal
- 1 cup edamame (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and diced (seeded if desired)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup tart green apple, diced
- 1 cup pineapple (fresh or canned)
- 1 cup dry-roasted unsalted cashews (or peanuts)
- 6 cups cooked long-grain brown rice (or jasmine rice)
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice or 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple chunk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce (or other hot sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- DRESSING: Combine all dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Set aside until serving time or refrigerate up to 5 days. It will make about 2/3 cup.
- SALAD: Trim lemongrass down to a 3-inch plump stalk with a smooth base, discarding any dried outer leaves. Slice crosswise as thinly as possible. Set aside. Chop and prepare all remaining salad ingredients.
- Place cooked rice in a large serving bowl. Add all the remaining salad ingredients and toss well.
- Add about 1/2 dressing and toss again. Serve with the remaining dressing on the side.