Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe has been in my family for 20+ years. I got it from my Aunt Pearl who made them up until the time she finally quit cooking at age 98. She lived to be 101 years old and would call me and ask me to make a batch of these for her about once a month. Every time I make a batch of them, it reminds me so much of her that it brings tears to my eyes.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (17 ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained & mashed
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift first four ingredients in a bowl. Combine eggs and next four ingredients in another bowl and mix well.
- Mix sweet potato mixture and dry ingredients together.
- Dust pecans and dates with the 1/4 cup flour then add to muffin mixture. (This keeps them from falling to the bottom of the muffin).
- Grease muffin tins or line with cupcake/muffin liners.
- Bake for 27-30 minutes.
Mmmmmmmmm! I got halfway through making these and realised I was out of dates so used a cup of peeled & chopped Granny Smith apples instead. I also used fresh sweet potatoes, peeled & steamed in the microwave (2 cups = 17oz can). Just sweet enough to satisfy those mid-afternoon munchies and lots of fun getting people to guess the "mystery ingredient" LOL. This is definitely a keeper. Thanks Sherrybeth.