Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
There is no mistake! These do take that much sugar and butter. Very simple but really good.
- 6 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 " slices (Red Garnet or yams)
- 118.29 ml water
- 1182.95 ml white sugar
- 118.29-236.59 ml butter
- Rinse the potato slices in ample water and drain.
- Place in a 2 qt covered saucepan and add the water, sugar, and butter.
- Cover and simmer until very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Do not stir during the cooking process.
Being from the midwest, I never saw "yams" cooked from scratch until I met my MIL. She does it just this way and has for many years. These are awesome and the entire family of eight kids and their families love them just as much as I do. Thanks for posting this because I always think, "how did she do that again?" She adds a little vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg too. I made some this evening. One tip - turn them off before they are as soft as you want them because the heat continues to cook them after you have turned them off.
Delicious! The only difference was I used brown sugar. My dad makes them like this and they're the best way to eat sweet potatoes - not like the kind with gross fake marshmallows on top!
wow'' these were so good .can't wait to have them again'