Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
A sweeter twist on potato soup. Posted for ZWT III. This is a great soup that I actually even like in the summer because it's got a light flavor. Very good and very sweet.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, and
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans corn kernels, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 potato, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup cream
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line the broiling pan with foil and spread the cubed sweet potato in a single layer and drizzle the first amount of oil over the potatoes.
- Roast the potatoes for about 15-20 minutes, turn once
- Heat the second amount of oil in a soup pan over medium heat and cook the onion, garlic, celery, and shallot until soft.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until combined with vegetables.
- Add the broth, cream corn, bay leaf and bring to a boil, add the baking potato and cover the pot and simmer 25-30 minutes or until the potato is tender.
- Add the sweet potatoes, whole corn kernels, and cream or milk, stir well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Note: you can certainly make this soup vegan by leaving out the cream or milk, it is just as good.
WOW this is a very nice soup. I wasn't sure at first reading the recipe if I would like this but boy was I wrong. Even my DD liked it and has requested it be made again. Thanks for a great soup recipe.