Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Submitted by request. This is a new twist to that same old potato salad. Prep time includes time to boil potatoes. Cook time is actually chill time for finished dish.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled,cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup dates, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- lettuce leaf
- Cook sweet potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, about 5-8 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and toss with lemon juice.
- In large bowl, combine mayonnaise, orange juice, honey, orange zest, ginger, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add potatoes, celery, and dates, tossing to coat.
- Cover and chill.
- Before serving, gently stir in pecans.
- Spoon salad onto lettuce-lined platter.
- Arrange mandarin orange segments around salad.
Oh! MY GOD!!! This is delicious!!! I used light Mayo, and no orange juice or canned. It is still delicious. I can't wait to try the real recipe with the orange juice and sections. I would have never thought to put mayo on sweet potatoes. The gingr and nutmeg--great. I used fresh for both so cut down on both amounts. Thankyou TGirl,Rn. I have a friend who is dreaming of this as I write.....another southern girl.
This is a lovely sweet potato salad! I added one cut up granny smith apple to it and didn't use the mandarin oranges. Got some nice compliments at a graduation party today.
A very unusual, but delicious salad for those who love sweet potatoes. I brought this dish to a luncheon and had several requests for the recipe. You get all the credit Kitz!