Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
Southern Sweet Potato Pie
Top Review by angelamarie5613
This is a very good recipe. I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes. I made this for DH and he ate a whole pie (over the course of a few day:). Took one to work and got rave reviews. I like the addition of orange zest. Gave it a nice subtle flavor.
- 9 inches unbaked pie shells (I use Homemade Pie Crust)
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, mashed, cooked
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, cream or 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a pie pan with rolled out dough; prick all over with fork; press a piece of heavy-duty foil directly into the pie shell.
- Bake for 6 minutes; remove foil; bake for 4 more minutes until just beginning to brown.
- Combine the sweet potatoes and sugar in a large bowl; beat in molasses and eggs.
- Add the spices and orange zest and stir well.
- Stir in melted butter and milk.
- Pour filling into pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Continue baking for 30 to 40 minutes or until filling is firm around edges, but center remains slightly soft and quivers when you move the pie.