Prep 30 mins
Cook 21 mins
Southern Sweet Potato Pie
Make and share this Southern Sweet Potato Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 9 inches unbaked pie shells (I use Homemade Pie Crust)
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, mashed, cooked
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, cream or 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a pie pan with rolled out dough; prick all over with fork; press a piece of heavy-duty foil directly into the pie shell.
- Bake for 6 minutes; remove foil; bake for 4 more minutes until just beginning to brown.
- Combine the sweet potatoes and sugar in a large bowl; beat in molasses and eggs.
- Add the spices and orange zest and stir well.
- Stir in melted butter and milk.
- Pour filling into pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Continue baking for 30 to 40 minutes or until filling is firm around edges, but center remains slightly soft and quivers when you move the pie.
I really like the addition of orange zest. It's very subtle. It was very good.
Was the perfect pie, and just the right amount of sweet. Very easy to make!