Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This side dish actually makes a great meal in itself...if you like squash. Goes great with roast.
- 8 summer squash, sliced
- 2 strips thick sliced bacon, cut in 1/2 in pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- breadcrumbs (store bought or homemade)
- sour cream or cream cheese
- Lightly brown bacon in large (3 qt) saucepan.
- Stir in onions when bacon is browned and cook over medium heat until clear.
- Add sliced summer squash and mix with bacon and onion.
- Allow squash to cook down stirring often.
- Grease large casserole dish on all sides.
- When squash is cooked, spoon out enough to cover bottom of casserole dish to about 2 inches with slotted spoon.
- Put 5 or 6 pats of butter and several dollops of sour cream or cream cheese (sour cream is easier to work with) on top of layer and cover with bread crumbs.
- repeat process with second layer, but do not put sour cream or cream cheese on top of casserole.
- Put casserole into 325 degree pre-heated oven uncovered and cook for 1 hour.
This was a really good southern squash casserole. We loved the sour cream in it. Thanks for posting.
Awesome Recipe! We have squash out the yingyang right now because my husband plants so much but I could eat this everyday. Perfect as is.
Wow! This sounds really, really good! Can't wait to try it out! My husband & I just LOVE yellow squash! Thank you so much for this new recipe (for me, that is)!