Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
A taste of summer in the south.
- 2 cups fresh shelled lima beans or 2 cups butter beans
- kosher salt
- 2 large ears of corn or 2 cups corn
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup minced country ham (optional)
- Place beans in large saucepan. Cover with water; add about 1 tsp salt. Bring to boiling. Skim surface till clear. Cook, partially covered, 30 to 40 minute till tender. Strain beans into sieve. Set aside.
- Shuck corn: using clean kitchen towel, gently rub corn to remove silks. Using sharp knife, cut corn kernels from cobs.
- In large skillet, heat butter over medium high heat till melted and foaming. Add corn. Lightly season with salt and pepper, stirring to coat corn in butter. Cook 1 to 2 minute Add beans. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute more, taking care not to overcook the corn and beans.
- Add cream (and ham). Cook just till heated through and slightly reduced. Season to taste.
- Note: OK to use frozen veggies when fresh not in season.