Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I grew up eating these and they are one of the few veggies my kids fight over!
- 2 medium size yellow squash
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup self rising flour (or less)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- oil (for frying)
- Grate the squash in food processor( or by hand if you dont have one).
- Dice the onion.
- Then combine squash, onion, shredded cheddar, egg, salt & pepper. Stir together adding flour a few tbs. at a time. It should be creamy and thick. Lift the spoon out with some on it and it should stick together. Use as much flour as needed to get to this consistency. I usually guess, and sometimes if it is too dry I use another egg. If they are not right they will fall apart when you cook them.
- Pre-heat oil in nonstick skillet (I use my electric skillet) to 350 degrees.
- Drop by spoonfuls into skillet and fry until golden brown usually a few minutes for each side. Drain on paper towels and enjoy!