Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from Cooking in the New South by Ann Byrn Phillips.
- 4 cups fresh peaches, sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter (one stick)
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (I use butter-flavored Crisco)
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine peaches, butter, sugar and nutmeg in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer until peaches are tender and mixture starts to thicken, about 20 minutes. Pour into baking dish.
- Combine flour, shortening, and salt, and mix with a pastry cutter. Add just enough cold water to make a crust, and roll out to fit the cobbler.
- Lay the crust over the peaches and make several slashes with a sharp knife.
- Bake 35-45 minutes, or until the crust just looks done.