Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Was POINTS® Value: 11 Now POINTS® Value: 4 Servings: 4 Preparation Time: 15 min Cooking Time: 30 min Level of Difficulty: Moderate Lighten up this hearty all-American favorite by switching to oven frying. We kicked up the flavor by using buttermilk and a dash of cayenne pepper.
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 ounces buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup corn flake crumbs
- 1 lb uncooked boneless chicken breast
- Preheat oven to 365ºF. Lightly coat an 8 X 8 X 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine flour, salt and cayenne pepper together in a medium-size bowl. Place buttermilk and corn flakes crumbs in 2 separate shallow bowls.
- Roll chicken breast halves in flour mixture and evenly coat each side. Next dip chicken into buttermilk and then corn flakes crumbs.
- Place coated chicken breasts in prepared baking dish. Bake until chicken is tender and no longer pink, about 25 to 30 minutes (there is no need to flip the chicken during baking). Yields 1 breast per serving.
- Chef Tips.
- We updated the Southern-Style Oven Fried Chicken by:
- Switching to "oven frying" rather than "deep-fat frying.".
- Using skinless, boneless chicken breasts instead of dark meat with the skin.
- Dipping the chicken in naturally low-fat buttermilk instead of eggs to help the coating stick.