Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Just like my grandma made for years!
- 4 slices bacon, diced into small pieces
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups fresh okra, cut into 1 inch pieces (may use frozen, if fresh not available)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Cook bacon slightly.
- Saute onion and garlic with bacon until tender.
- Add tomatoes, chicken base, sugar and pepper.
- Stir well and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Meanwhile wash okra and remove fuzz if using fresh and cut into pieces.
- Add the okra and simmer until okra is done, about 20 more minutes (less if using frozen okra.).
This was so good! I didn't have chicken base so I used chicken granuels, and it turned out great!
This tomatoes and okra recipe was on-target. I added a tsp. of chicken bouillon granules(I assumed that was the "chicken base" of the recipe), and used fresh tomatoes. It's still good as a left over too! Thanks.