Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very cheesy, very easy and oh so good! This is my family's absolutely favorite mac and cheese. I can't even think about making a different recipe without getting, "what, are you nuts?". You can bake this in the oven or use the crockpot method. Hope you like this as much as we do!
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, sliced
- Cook macaroni per package directions using the lower end of the cooking times as you will be cooking it more in the oven.
- Drain macaroni and put into oven proof casserole.
- Add all the ingredients except for the sliced cheddar.
- Mix well.
- Cover macaroni mixture with sliced cheddar.
- Oven cooking: Bake in 350º oven for 25-30 minutes until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through.
- Crockpot cooking: Cook 3-4 hours on low.
This was really easy to put together. I made if for Mom since she doesn't care for frozen or boxed mac'n'cheese but doesn't feel like making her own. She says she's enjoying it. There's a little different texture here, due to the cheese not being melted into the milk before baking.
This was pretty yummy mac and cheese and was quite easy to make. I made in the crockpot and cooked for 3 hours and then had to turn off as it was starting to burn at the edges. I only had mild cheddar and didn't add any to the top but it was still plenty cheesy. Oh! I also only used one egg since I was running low. Was good for a less labor intensive macaroni than my usual recipe. Thanks so much for posting!
I cannot believe I forgot to rate this recipe. This has become our Thanksgiving and Christmas side dish staple. We follow the recipe 'almost' to the T. We half the amounts of eggs just because I'm not a fan of the super egg-y and we left out the dry mustard since day one and we like it that way so that's the way we make it now. We use a medium cheddar and just for fun I decided to add a bit of mozzarella which in my opinion makes it a bit more gooey. We also don't add the cheese to the mixture. We layer some mac, then add a layer of cheese and finally pour the mixture to cover the first layer... and so on. Sort of like lasagna. Our family loves it!