Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From the Fayetteville Observer, March 8, 2000.
Make and share this Southern Style Lima Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb dried large lima beans
- 3 smoked ham hocks
- 3 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or more)
- water, enough to cover
- Simmer beans in one to two quarts of water for 30 minutes, either in the crockpot on "high" heat or in another pot over the stove. The beans will have swelled and softened slightly.
- Drain and put them into the crockpot.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook four to eight hours on "auto-shift" or "low" heat.
- At some point, remove the ham hocks and separate the bones and fat from the bits of meat, cutting up the meat to return to crockpot.
- When done, this dish should resemble a stew with a thick broth. The beans should be soft, but not quite falling apart. If you cook it too long, it will be tasty but will resemble split pea soup.
- Serve with biscuits or cornbread.