8 hrs 15 mins
From the Fayetteville Observer, March 8, 2000.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Simmer beans in one to two quarts of water for 30 minutes, either in the crockpot on "high" heat or in another pot over the stove. The beans will have swelled and softened slightly.
- 2Drain and put them into the crockpot.
- 3Add remaining ingredients.
- 4Cook four to eight hours on "auto-shift" or "low" heat.
- 5At some point, remove the ham hocks and separate the bones and fat from the bits of meat, cutting up the meat to return to crockpot.
- 6When done, this dish should resemble a stew with a thick broth. The beans should be soft, but not quite falling apart. If you cook it too long, it will be tasty but will resemble split pea soup.
- 7Serve with biscuits or cornbread.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Style Lima Beans
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 420.2
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 24.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.1 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 25.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hocks