Recipe by StephsTreats
A compilation of recipes from cooks illustrated and my sister, and my tweaks. So delicious, I have been asked to make it a number of times, and I'm finally posting the recipe for the people who have asked for it. You can also add 1/2-1 lb of browned ground beef or sausage, or shredded chicken, or crumbled bacon with the onions for an excellent one-dish meal!
- 8 teaspoons bacon fat or 8 teaspoons butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup water, rapidly boiling
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk (or milk with 2 Tbs. lemon juice)
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn, drained (if substituting frozen corn, it should be at room temperature)
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese (or your favorite variety)
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Oven rack: lower middle position 450 degrees. Grease 9" round or 8" square pan.
- Measure 2/3 cup (96 g) cornmeal into medium bowl.
- Mix remaining cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in small bowl; set aside.
- Pour boiling water all at once into the 2/3 cup (96 g) cornmeal; stir to make a stiff mush. Whisk in buttermilk gradually, breaking up lumps until smooth, then whisk in egg, followed by corn.
- When oven is preheated, stir dry ingredients into mush until just moistened.
- Pour hot bacon fat (or melted butter) into the batter and stir to incorporate, then quickly pour 1/2 batter into baking pan. Layer onions & jalapeno, then cheese, top with remaining batter.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes, then serve.