Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love beets and to throw away the tops is such a waste so now I have a recipe for them.
- 2 lbs beet leaves
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- Wash greens in sink of cold water.
- Drain greens, wash a second time.
- Drain greens and remove any heavy stems.
- Tear leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Set aside.
- In 6-quart Dutch oven, cook bacon until lightly browned.
- Add onions, cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions soften and start to brown.
- Stir in garlic.
- Add water to hot pan, stirring to loosen any particles from bottom of pan.
- Stir in sugar and red pepper.
- Continue cooking until mixture boils.
- Add greens to boiling water mixture; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar.
- Continue cooking additional 5 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Cut into bite-size pieces before serving.
- Serve with chopped tomatoes, green onion and additional vinegar, if desired.