1/1 Photo of Southern Style Green Beans the Porkless Way
In a search for a healthier way to cook those delicious green beans like my grandmother made I devised a recipe that will almost fool you! Of course you can always throw in some salt pork or bacon if you aren't watching your fat intake. These really are delicious and there's never a bean left in the bottom of the pot. The prep time included prepping the green beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups green beans, tipped and tailed
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper (adjust if desired)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (use less if sensitive to spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1Cook all ingredients except butter in large heavy pot over medium heat until mixture is simmering.
- 2Reduce heat and simmer, covered. Cook for at least 20 minutes.
- 3When beans are tender and have reached desired tenderness (Southerners eat them VERY overcooked :( ). Remove from stove and add butter.
- 4Stir to coat again and serve hot! YUMMY!
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Style Green Beans the Porkless Way
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.2
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 1211.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 4.2 g