Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is the traditional way to make Southern green beans. I make these in the summer when green beans are plentiful. Very easy and they smell sooo good while they are cooking!
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped into 1-inch pieces
- 5 slices bacon, cut into small pieces (or one smoked ham hock)
- salt and pepper (be careful though not to over salt though as the bacon makes them salty enough)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- Combine ingredients in large saucepan.
- Cover and simmer for about 1 hour.
this worked out really well! sometimes the simple way is the best. It put my fresh green beans in the comfort food category. i sprinkled real bacon bits on top to finish. family loved it.
These are sooooo good. I added one teaspoon of sugar (just a personal preference) and some little new potatoes. These were so good with a slice of cornbread dripping with butter. Made me feel like I was back at my grandmother's table. Thanks for the recipe.