Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my mother's recipe. She used to run a cafe for years in Mississippi and I can assure you that you will not find a better flavor in green beans. The secret to this recipe is the VINEGAR AND THE SUGAR. Definitely the southern style.
- 14 1⁄2 ounces cut green beans
- 1 bouillon cube, any flavor (I recommend ham if you can find it)
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons bacon, pieces or 1 -2 slice of raw bacon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- Empty the can and juice in a pot. Add the rest of the ingredients and boil until almost all the liquid is gone.
This was a great way to jazz up canned green beans. I diced turkey bacon in it, but I think I will used a lower sodium bouillon cube next time. Thanks for the posting!