Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I have made these beans for numerous events and people. Everyone seems to love them. I got the recipe from my great grandmother who was a wonderful cook and person! She always thought sugar was necessary in EVERY dish she made. As I said everyone always request these when I am asked to bring a dish! These are definately NOT on anyone's diet plan because of the fat and sugar, but they are oh so good!!
- 4 (16 ounce) cans green beans, frozen can be used also
- 1⁄2 cup bacon grease
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 cups water, more if needed as thay cook down
- Drain beans and cover with the water. Add bacon grease and sugar. Cook over medium heat for 3 hours. Cover with lid.
- Stir only when absolutely necessary as not to break the beans down.
- Add water as needed.
- The last 15-20 minutes, turn heat to medium high or high. Cook beans until most of the water is gone and the sugar has carmelized.
- Remove from heat and strain with spatula and serve warm!
- These are a great side with pork, beef or turkey! Must have homemade yeast rolls to complete the meal!
These beans are just like what my grandma made many many years ago and we've carried on the same. Yes they are on the sweet side, but the taste brings back tons of good old memories of family. Vicki