Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Oh my goodness ... this sandwich is intoxicating! I always have canned crab meat in the pantry, and was surfing the web looking for something new to do with it. This recipe graciously shared on the cooking blog Hugging the Coast.
- 6 ounces crabmeat, well drained
- 1⁄3 cup cubanelle pepper, finely diced
- 2 green onions, minced (tops only)
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon pepper vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 thick slices light-textured grainy bread
- butter, for spreading
- paprika, for dusting
- 6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Combine the first seven ingredients (crab meat to black pepper) in a bowl.
- Toast the bread lightly on both sides. Heat a skillet or griddle over medium-low heat.
- Generously spread two slices of bread with butter, dust generously with paprika, and place them butter side down in the pan. Distribute 1/4 of the cheese on each of the two slices. Spread half the crab salad on each; top with remaining cheese. Butter and sprinkle paprika on the remaining bread and place on top. Press down very gently, if necessary.
- Cook sandwich until bottom is crisp; turn over carefully and cook until other side is crisp. Cut with a serrated or very sharp knife, taking care not to press out the filling. Serve with bread & butter pickles.