Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
An old family favorite from our time in the south. Even my husband, who is picky about his greens, enjoyed this recipe!
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen collard greens or 1 bunch fresh collard greens
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, dried
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 dash liquid smoke
- 1 ham hock
- 1 cup water
- Thaw collard greens if using frozen or rinse if using fresh.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized sauce pan. Cook over low heat for about 45 minutes.
- Discard ham hock.
- Serve with salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce to taste.
Really good!!! I had a frozen hock so I boiled it for a bit until it defrosted then I used the water from that for my cup of water. These have just the right amount of heat, sweet, and flavor!! I cooked these with a lid half on the pot. They were al dente at 45 minutes and I kept them on a little longer so they would get even softer. Thanks for posting this great recipe!!!
I had never cooked or eaten collard greens before, but they were on sale at the grocery store, so I had to try them. I fixed them exactly as this recipe stated and they were very good. Would definitely use this recipe again, no need to look for another, Thanks jd!