Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This slaw is a nice change from those with mayo. It's also quite easy and great for this hot weather. Found in the local paper. Prep time does not include chilling time.
- 1 head cabbage (about 5 lbs)
- 1 large yellow onion (for 1 cup chopped)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 ounces low-sodium V8 juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Wash and remove the outer leaves of the cabbage. Cut the cabbage into eighths and remove the core. Set aside.
- Peel the onion and cut into eighths. Using a food processor fitted with the steel blade attachment, process the cabbage and onion, in manageable batches, until chopped finely. Scrape into a large container with a tight fitting lid. Set aside.
- In a 1 quart or larger saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, V08, salt and celery seed. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar is melted.
- Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the cabbage and toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 4 hours.