Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A variation on a southern specialty called Hopping John. Serve as a side. Great for BBQ season. From Land-O-Lake Cookbook.
- 2 cups black-eyed peas, cooked
- 1 cup long grain rice, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup butter (or margarine)
- 4 cups spinach, fresh and torn
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- have cooked black-eyed peas and rice ready.
- in 2 qt saucepan melt butter, stir in spinach and bacon, cook over med heat stirring occasionally until spinach is tender.
- stir in black-eyed peas, rice and remaining ingredients (except cheddar cheese).
- continue cooking stirring occasionally until heated through.
- just before serving stir in cheddar cheese.
- *10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained can be substituted for 4 cups fresh spinach.
I love hopping johns, and this definitely did not disappoint! I finally lucked out and found canned black-eyed peas in the new Whole Foods store that opened nearby. We are vegetarians, so instead of real bacon we used a bacon substitute. We cut back on the butter and served with extra hot sauce. We made this a one dish meal, it was excellent! Thank you. Will be eating leftovers for lunch today at work.