Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Spicy, brothy, and delicious. Leftovers can be incorporated into other dishes
Make and share this Southern Style Black-Eyed Peas (Adapted from Vegetarian Cooking recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large new mexico peppers (diced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons red chili pepper flakes
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons sea salt
- The night before you want to make these beans, soak the dried beans in 2 quarts water.
- The next day, rinse the beans in a colander.
- Heat olive oil and butter.
- Sauté onions, garlic, peppers for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato, bay leaf, thyme, allspice and cook for a minute or two.
- Add peas, stock, red chili flakes, and 2 cups water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 40 minutes.
- Add salt and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and serve ladled in bowls with a bit of the juice.