Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very luxurious cake that tastes a lot like banana bread.
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 2⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 -4 large bananas, mashed
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Have butter and eggs at room temperature. Use large mixing bowl. Beat butter and sugar until light. Add eggs and beat until fluffy. Add vanilla. Mash the bananas and add to the mixture. Sift dry ingredients and add to the bowl alternately with the milk. Fold in the chopped nuts.
- Bake in a greased and floured tube pan for 40 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool on rack.
- (My personal favorite frosting that goes well with this cake: Lemon cream cheese frosting).
Nice moist cake. It does taste like banana bread. I haven't tried it with the frosting yet. It isn't super sweet. I omitted the nuts (personal preference).