Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is from 500 Treasured Country Recipes. I have not tried it yet but it looks very interesting and I thought it would be a great addition to the strawberry recipe swap. I can't wait to see the results!
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 teaspoons grated grapefruit zest
- 2 tablespoons strawberry puree
- 3 cups spinach leaves, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups watercress, with large stems removed
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 3 cups whole fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a shaker jar, combine the oregano, basil, parsley, garlic, oil, juice, zest and puree.
- Chill while making the salad.
- Toss the spinach, romaine and watercress, lightly in a large bowl.
- Arrange the fruit, celery, and green pepper attractively on top.
- Sprinkle on the almonds.
- When ready to serve., remove garlic from dressing.
- Pour sparingly over the salad.
- Serve the remaining dressing on the side to add if desired.
Very good salad but the dressing is out-of-this-world and would also be delish as a marinade for chicken. For the salad I skipped the watercress (couldn't find it), celery, green peppers and almonds but added a bit of dill havati cheese. Delish! and leftovers will be perfect for lunch with a bit of chicken or tuna mixed in. Thanks for sharing!