Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Rather like a savory pudding, this comes from the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups water, boiling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter an 8" baking dish.
- Sift corn meal and mix with boiling water, stirring until smooth and free from lumps.
- Add salt, butter and milk.
- Separate eggs; beat whites until light, yolks until light.
- Add eggs to batter.
- Pour batter in prepared dish and bake 45 minutes.
- This dish should be served in the same dish as it is baked inches.
This was really good. I had forgotten I didn't having baking powder so was happy to find this recipe. It took 15 minutes longer to cook, at least, than the recipe indicated. I couldn't tell what the texture was supposed to be. I will add sugar next time. Tasted delicious mixed into vegetarian chili.