Recipe by Whisper
When we were in Gettysburg PA last summer, we had the most wonderful spoon bread at the Farnsworth House Restaurant. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I'm hoping it's just as good! This comes from Lean and Luscious and Meatless.
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal, plus
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned corn, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Oil a 1-3/4 quart baking dish.
- Combine cornmeal and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Gradually stir in milk, making a smooth mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in margarine, 2 of the egg whites, sugar, baking powder, and corn.
- Mix well.
- In a small, deep bowl, beat remaining egg whites on high speed of an electric mixer until stiff.
- Fold into cornmeal mixture, gently but thoroughly.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes, until mixture is set and top begins to brown.
- Serve right away.