Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
There is nothing like an old school and basic but very delicious pound cake. This cake is and moist and delicious and the sour cream works to give the cake the tangy zing in its taste. A few useful cooking tips--bake this cake a day or two prior to serving to allow the flavors to set well. Also never bake this cake in a loaf pan because the cook time is too long and the cake will dry out. Also adjust the flavorings to your liking if you prefer more vanilla/less almond extract or you want to substitute/add lemon extract (I have seen other pound cake recipes with all three extracts but I personally prefer almond flavoring and more of it).
- 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 -4 teaspoons almond extract
- 6 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease and flour a 10-inch bundt or tube pan.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl at medium speed. Blend until mixture is light and fluffy and sugar is no longer granulated. (About ten minutes).
- Add vanilla & almond extracts, scraping sides of bowl so it is thoroughly incorporated.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg is added.
- Add sour cream all at once and blend thoroughly.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt into small bowl (A wire whisk works perfectly to sift/mix dry ingredients). Slowly add flour mixture and continue beating until mixture is smooth and well blended. (Add by approximately three parts-roughly 1-cup additions).
- Pour batter into the well-greased and floured bundt or tube pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then invert pan onto wire rack and cool completely.
Thank you Ms Lady Chef! I have been searching for a recipe just like my Big Mama's. It was lost when she died and all I remember is we called it Big Mama's cake and she used to make her own sour cream from the cows milk. I am not quite as good as Big Mama in the kitchen but I am practicing when I can. I am going to make this cake for my honey-boo and his Mother who LOVES pound cake. I'll let you know how it comes out! Dear Ms. Keys-HIS Mother told him to MARRY me because believe it or not this cake tasted like the one HER grandma used to make! I think I'm IN and now my (hopefully mama-in-law) wants the recipe!! Thanks again!!
Very good pound cake recipe. Easy to prepare. The cake is delicious. My family loved it .
3 cups of sugar seemed too much to me. I used only 2 and could probably have cut it to 1 1/2 cups which I will do next time. My cake turned out delicious! I did use more than 8 oz. of sour cream though. I think I used about 12 oz. The almond flavoring did the trick making this cake even more of a comfort food.