Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
Clipped from the AJC, this recipe is from Goldfish restaurant in Atlanta. I have had this dish many times and it is superb. I was thrilled to find the recipe and wanted to share it here on zaar. Note: If fat is a concern, substitute low-sodium chicken broth for the half and half and cream.
For the marinara sauce
- 3 lbs organic vine-ripe tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 14 1⁄2 ounces whole peeled plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup basil, chopped
For the grits
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup stone ground grits, scant
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
For the shrimp and sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups smoked andouille sausages, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
For the garnish (optional)
- 5 teaspoons basil oil
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- To make the marinara sauce: Blanch organic tomatoes. Remove skin and seeds and roughly chop. Set aside.
- In a large saute pot, add oil. Saute garlic and shallots until translucent. Add reserved fresh tomatoes and canned tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Add parsley and basil and stir to combine.
- While the marinara sauce is simmering, prepare the grits:.
- In a large pot, combine half and half and cream and bring to a boil (watch carefully to make sure it doesn't overflow). Add grits, garlic and salt. reduce heat and slowly cook, stirring frequently, scraping the bottom of the pan, until grits liquid is absorbed and grits are cooked and tender, about 45 minutes. Add cheese and stir until combined.
- To make the shrimp and sausage: In a saute pan over medium-high heat, add oil. Add shrimp and cook until translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium, add sausage and cook for 1 minute. add marinara sauce and cook for 3 minutes.
- On individual bowls or plates, place 1/2 cup cooked grits. Divide shrimp and marinara between plates and place beside grits. Drizzle basil oil on shrimp and top with chopped chives.
This recipe is great and easy. I did not have sausage so I left it out...still excellent. I did cut out the half and half just to cut fat. I guess it didn't matter since I used heavy cream instead. Also, I used canned, diced italian tomatoes. This added good flavor. Thanks!